Hey, I really appreciated this class


One expectation that was initially daunting to me after being admitted to MIT was innovation. It seemed that everyone’s perception was that you go to MIT to invent things, and that terrified me because I had no clue where anybody got ideas. If you simply google search biology problems, you get enormous and broad suggestions to cure cancer and stop climate change. Thus, being assigned to come up with a research proposal seemed extreme, but I absolutely believe that it served its purpose in pushing us through our comfort zones to the hard, yet fascinating, questions that give MIT the persona of “the place where people invent things.” Of course, carrying out the research is another beast, but previous experiences on campus have shown me that process. This was the first time I had been exposed to brainstorming and researching the literature in hopes to either bring technology to biology or explore biology with technology. It was difficult and fascinating and ultimately rewarding.

I don’t feel that my presentation went swimmingly, and I am aware that my proposed research needs further consideration and criticism. However, the process of finding projects and identifying the need for biological engineering is much clearer to me now. I hope that through my time on campus, I can consider potential areas of research that are especially interesting to me and subsequently apply what I have learned in the past few weeks to eventually proposing my own project. At the very least, understanding the process gives me the ability to assess and appreciate the research process in biology, which is becoming a more valuable skill as the biotechnology industry is appreciating at a greater rate than ever before. Exponential innovation is now something that excites me to be a part of, and I am beginning to feel more equipped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2

The Journey of A Revision Begins With Office Hours