The Research Article was hard, but in a good way

Overall, I found this assignment to be one of the most difficult I've completed while at MIT. Every time I sat down to craft a figure or write part of the article, I questioned every choice I was making. I found it difficult to synthesize a narrative from the data I had, as some of it appeared disjointed and it was my job to weave it together. Additionally, I was not exactly sure what the conclusion of my research was, as it felt a bit incomplete. 

I found the M2D6 and M2D9 homework assignments most helpful for the completion of the research article. They both gave me some context as to what data would be relevant and how it should be interpreted in the results versus in the discussion. I found it challenging to create certain figures such as the GO term tables, or the conceptual A549 figure, in such a way that expressed the important information in a concise, easy-to-view manner. Ultimately, I felt a little dissatisfied with the over aesthetic of my figures compared to some of my classmates', but I do think they fulfilled their purpose. 

My favorite section of the paper to write was the Discussion. I had fun mulling over possible explanations for my data results (especially the seemingly contradictory cell viability and p21 expression results) and possible avenues for further experimentation. 

All in all, while this assignment was very challenging and certainly caused me a lot of stress, I think it is really cool that we get to do something like this as sophomores in college. It made me feel like a "real" scientist, and gave me some insight into part of the job of being of a full-time researcher. 

-Katie Williams 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2

The Journey of A Revision Begins With Office Hours