Part of the 73%

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 73% of US adults are estimated to have a fear of public speaking. Every time I get up to speak in front of a group I am reminded that I am part of the 73%. 

I really like designing the visual aesthetic for figures and schematics so that was definitely my favorite part of preparing for this assignment. I was most surprised by how easy my paper was to understand. I'm not sure if that's because it was just a straightforward paper or if I'm getting better at reading scientific articles.  

I was expecting that including figures from the paper in my presentation would be easy but I had to ]remake some of my figures because they were so low resolution! You'd think if you went through the trouble of producing high-quality data you'd be bothered to make it look nice. I tried my best to replicate their graphs and make them more visually engaging. I was surprised and thankful of the fact that I didn't have too much trouble pacing myself through my presentation. This was pretty crucial since we had such a small margin of error. 

My favorite tool to calm my nerves for a presentation is to wear funky socks. I wore a green sock with some chemical structures on it and a blue sock with DNA on it. When I presented some research at the BMES conference in Atlanta I wore my narwhal socks so whenever I got nervous I could just remember that I was giving this important presentation and no one knew I had narwhals on my socks. It makes the whole process feel a lot less high-stakes :)

Overall it was a pretty enjoyable experience to hear everyone present these different papers and actually understand the implications of the information they discussed and be able to ask productive questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2

The Journey of A Revision Begins With Office Hours