I actually really liked my paper: Lily Huo

So I just had my journal club presentation and to be honest it didn't go as well as I was hoping for personally.

I felt like I got everything important said and I made all of my points really clear. The powerpoint presentation was pretty good in my opinion and I felt that I got my story across. However, the actual delivery of the presentation did not go as smooth. I felt like I talked a bit too fast and had some stutters here and there and I know for a fact that I went a bit over the time limit which is a small problem but still a bit of an oof since I had practiced so much for it.

However the worst part was when I clicked the wrong button on the clicker thing and looked up to see my presentation screen just completely black. Of course I fixed it pretty quickly but it was still so embarrassing.

That being said, I still feel like I learned a lot from this journal club assignment regarding how to make professional presentations and how to read papers. I just wish I hadn't let my nerves get the better of me.

Moving onto the paper though, WOW. That paper was actually just amazing. From a first look it looked terrifying with more than 50 images and just seemed like so much to digest and I must say that I procrastinated it over spring break and didn't touch my paper until this past weekend. However, when I actually sat down and read the paper very carefully, I actually fell in love with the writing of the paper, the organization of it, and the information that it provided. The authors did an amazing job with writing the paper. It was never too boring or redundant and the information was broken down into relevant parts in orders that made sense for the entire story and not necessarily chronoligically. The images were also very simple but very powerful at the same time. I actually found it very fun to break down the entire paper.

Making the presentation was a whole other monster though. With all of the images that were given to me I had first started with an almost 30 slide powerpoint. It was quite difficult to figure out what images to take away since everything had some importance. Even then, it seemed as if I still had too much at the very end but still made it work out okay.

Overall this assignment was much more stressful than the others in different ways but I think it taught me a lot and helped me overcome my fear of presentations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2

The Journey of A Revision Begins With Office Hours