Module 1 Reflection...

Looking back at Module 1, I am proud of how much progress I have made. I remember the frustration I felt when I first was creating the gel electrophoresis figure. I spent hours wracking my brain about so many things: what is the best title sentence for this image? how should I structure the caption? what details are enough for the reader to understand? These were only the first of many questions I had. After meeting with BE communication lab the next day, I came to the realization that although there were loose boundaries about how you should structure a figure, the beauty of being of researcher was the personal interpretations and choices that you get to make when presenting your results. From that point forward, I found that with more practice, writing figures wasn’t so bad.

Another breakthrough occurred while I was creating the data summary with my lab partner. As we spent hours slowly piecing together all the figures, schematics, and results we had compiled throughout the past four weeks, the main purpose of this module became crystal clear as we created an abstract that summed up our work in one short but meaningful paragraph. I found it incredibly rewarding to get to work with my lab partner for this data summary and compare our interpretations of our results and talk through the importance of every assay or gel we ran. 

All in all, Module 1 taught me a lot about how I should approach technical scientific writing and will definitely help me as I write a full research report for Module 2. Moving forward, I have a list of small things such as writing in a passive voice and making sure I don’t include results in my captions, that I will continue to work on in Module 2, and the remainder of my scientific career. 

PS. I would like the make a special shout out to the wonderful teaching faculty who never failed to answer my email questions and consistently offered invaluable feedback :) Thank you!!!

- Margaret Zhang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2

The Journey of A Revision Begins With Office Hours